Monday, January 21, 2013

There is a dichotomy here. The new focus to run real long for the pure joy of it while training towards a marathon PR is like working with two opposing forces, working against each other toward the same goal. As I try to defend myself, since I will be logging more weekly miles than ever and aim to achieve the best fitness of my adult life, using this opportunity for one more chance at a marathon PR only makes since. However, it is certainly going to take a huge mental effort on my part to reconcile these two contradictory motivations.

To quickly summarize the week, it started out feeling great before ending with a lot of fatigue and a terrible cold. With a twenty miler only a week away, I am trying to get better and as recovered as possible to make next week a very successful week of training.

1/14
6 miles
@8:07 pace

While my body continues to feel good, I'm going to continue running on my off days. There is a vague sense of liberation when running on a day with no plan and no pace. It's like a blank canvas ready to be painted freehand. I will say, I'm getting a little tired of running up Greenspot; while it is the route near my house with the least elevation gain, it still averages at 5% grade and peaks at 8% for a continuous 1.2 mile stretch of road. I'm going to make more of an effort to run near work so I can get on the Santa Ana River trail.

1/15
8.4 miles
5 miles @ 7:51 Pace
3.4 miles @ 9:00 pace

I ran 5 miles early this morning up Greenspot and I decided to do an experiment: I wanted to run at a constant effort level while not looking at my watch at all until the run is over where I would check the mile splits to gauge how much the elevation change really does effect pace according to a leveled effort. Well, on a 2.5 mile stretch that a ran out and back, the front half is uphill before coming down it on the way back. so, my splits went 8:44, 8:41, 7:57, 6:41, 6:47... interesting.

The second run of the day was my favorite since last Wednesday; it was a nice 3.4 mile loop with Doug where we ran at a comfortable conversation pace and just enjoyed the workout while enjoying the company.

1/16
14 miles
@9:05 pace

It is all my fault. I tempted fate and it bit me right in the rear. While deciding to run everyday as long as my body continued to feel good, of course it would be the day of my longest run yet of this training that I'd wake up feeling exhausted, taxed and sore.

The coolest part of this run was heading down the Santa Ana River trail past Van Buren. Running down that trail, through different zip codes, always feels like an adventure. However, the temperature is heating up and the direct sun was a little hard. Plus, the headwind coming back made my tired legs a little more so.

There is a silver lining, though. the biggest plus of this mid-week long run was negative splitting the out and back.

1/17
10.36 miles
7 miles with 3 @ speedwork : 7:05, 6:55, 7:12 pace
3 miles @ 9:37 pace

I can't complain much about this speed work day because I cheated. I was supposed to run 4 miles at around 6:30. But while I'm still trying to get my legs back, I decided to make it a little easier on my body body alternating easy and hard miles up to seven, instead of the normal half-mile easy between hard miles. With that said, I am slow and out of shape. It took all of my effort to get those weak splits.

1/18
6 miles
9:21 pace

Legs are tired. I am really looking forward to the next off day. As I start runs like this one with a lot of tightness and fatigue, it really is nice to experience them loosen up and feel stronger at about mile four, but there certainly is still not a lot of pace there. I think about Bill Murray in What About Bob; "baby steps".

1/19
10.1 miles
10:00 pace

Josh and Carrie were so supportive to watch the kids to Mae and I an opportunity to run a ten miler together up Greenspot to the Seven Oaks Bridge. It was fun to watch her actively stand up to a challenge and really charge it. We negative split this run, which of course includes long, continuous elevation changes.

I started feeling achy and feverish on the run and as the night went on, my throat closed up and a full blown sickness has broken out. I'm already over the weekly mileage and I am taking tomorrow off. What I'm hoping for now is quick recovery and strong training next week, which will culminate with a fitness testing twenty miler.




No comments:

Post a Comment